Thursday, February 21, 2013

Upcoming Lessons and New Challenges

     Recently I received important news that will aid me in learning the banjo.  I have scheduled a video Skype Banjo lesson with the youtube user "happybanjodude."  This youtube user puts up many helpful video tutorials that I have already pulled many tips from.  To learn my first banjo song "Roll Away your Stone," I watched his video tutorial on the song.  This video lesson will greatly help in bringing me in little techniques that I can't nail yet.  This interaction will also let me ask any questions I have on the banjo that I usually can't get a human answer for.  By this time next week, I will have had my banjo lesson and hopefully I will have greatly advanced as a banjoist.

     One interesting thing I found with myself while playing banjo is that I easily lose track of time.  So far I have been greatly enjoying my time learning banjo and playing the various songs I have learned.  For instance last night I spent about three hours playing and learning banjo techniques and songs.  This is great for me continuing on my banjo journey, but it restricts me from doing homework that I must get done.  I am beginning to see that a greater challenge than actually learning the banjo is to manage my time.  I must balance schoolwork and my music as usual, but this time in even greater amounts because of the time I will be spending learning this new instrument.  This is a challenge that I will constantly be faced with, but I have had past experiences balancing these two areas of my life and I suspect I won't have too much trouble this time.  Next week I will hopefully have had a successful lesson with "happybanjodude" and have no troubles with managing my time between school and music.  See you next time!

2 comments:

  1. Your project seems to be coming along fantastically. My project is similar to yours(learning the ukulele), though you seem to have a bit more of a base to start off of. I find it fantastic that you can connect to an expert on the banjo over skype, because it should give you a much more interactive and engaging style of learning. Because my project is similar, I will probably try to find an expert to teach me, because I know that I learn much better by being talked to, not just reading and testing. Overall, it seems that you are in a great position for your project, and I am excited to find out how your lesson goes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very interesting subject. The banjo is a very unique instrument, and I am looking forward to seeing updates. A video of you performing would be very cool. As far as time management goes, always try to put work before fun, but sometimes it is okay to relax, as long as you eventually finish your work, and don't lose too much sleep. This skype lesson is also something I am interested in hearing more about. I am looking forward to see how this turns out. Good luck, and rock on!

    ReplyDelete